Skip to main content

Posts

New bowsprit installed

Last weekend we finally installed our new bowsprit. It's the MultiMarine / Ocean Comfort model with an anchor roller, made from 32mm AISI316 stainless steel and teak and measures 115x52cm. The reason we choose this particular type is that we wanted a bowsprit to be able to carry our new Delta anchor (after we finish the anchor windlass installation) and provide an attachment for the the tack of a gennaker a bit further ahead of the bow. Some added benefits are that it's possible to add a ladder to it to help with onboarding from rocky shores and sit out there and enjoy the ride when the weather is nice.  The other alternative on the market would have been a similar model from Båtsystem, which is a bit more sturdy, but costs more than double. The installation wasn't particularly tricky, although there we absolutely no instructions in the box and unfortunately the kit was lacking some nuts and backing plates so we had to run to a hardware store to get them. We used cargo belt
Recent posts

New fuel and water caps

The plastic deck caps for the diesel and water fillers were looking pretty ugly due to UV damage and it was also time to replace the rubber gasket. Fortunately I was able to find the exact same type of cap with a bayonet lock and the seal  at a Force 4 Chandlery from the UK.  

New sails and lazy bag

Before summer our new sails from Lundh Sails have arrived.  We ordered a new full-batten mainsail (M3) with 3 reef points and Seldén's low friction carts and a furling jib (FJ2), both from Vectran reinforced Dacron crosscut panel which supposed to keep it's form longer and have a longer overall lifespan. We also got a new lazy bag for the new main as the old one was falling apart.  The new sails were already tested and performing very well. It's sooo nice!

Gobius Pro tank sensor

Before sailing out on our vacation, we installed a Gobius Pro tank level sensor on the waste tank. We're four on board, so the head gets used a lot and we wanted to know when is it time to empty the tank, to avoid overfilling it.  The Gobius Pro sensor was an obvious choice due to the ease of installation as it measures from the outside of the tank. The base kit includes a small panel with green and red feedback lights (shaped like a fish) for which we found a perfect location in the head over an old hole drilled by the previous owner. The installation was straight forward as both the sensor and and panel is attached with self-adhesive and the cabling part consists only of connecting the sensor to the panel and to the power. The Gobius Pro has bluetooth capability built in, so the feedback and the settings like how often to measure or when to alert (fluid level is below or above the sensor) can be changed from the Gobius app.

S/Y Scarlett

Should we give her a new name? We were discussing this and looking for a better name for almost a year. When the transom and red-stripe renovation was close to be finished we were pressed to make a decision on what sticker to order. We're after a feminine name that's easy to pronounce, has a good sounding and some more meaning for us. There were several contestants, so the family had to vote. Our choice was inspired by the character of Katie Scarlett O'Hara from the book/movie Gone with the Wind . We can relate to the character and name because Katie is my wife's first name, however we thought that  Scarlett is the perfect fit. Scarlett rhymes with the first three letters of Scanmar, is associated with red that symbolizes courage, passion, force, joy and heat and which is often considered the color of Scanmar boats. We're not superstitious but we took the name change somewhat seriously and followed the customs on the ceremony of the name change because we like the t

Transom and red-stripe decor paint

After we finished the fiberglass repair work on the transom , it was time to paint. We decided to use a 2-component polyurethane lack from Epifanes. The color is 839 which is quite a close match to the old gelcoat if it's not overlapping the old paint on the same surface. The boat was launched with the bathing platform dismounted but the transom paint finished. We started painting the red-white topside decor stripe from the dock, it was more comfortable and the weather was warmer. First we started the red stripe with a new 2-component polyurethane lack too just in red, but it turned out too bright (even though we bought the darkest red color what we could find), so we decided to switch to International's Toplac instead which was available in dark red (Marinröd). We painted 3 layers, then 3 layers of offwhite toplac for the white stripe. And the end result:

Rigging updates Part 1

We're replacing the standing rigging step-by-step. Last year we replaced the forestay (together with the roller furling) and the backstay wire and load bearing block. This year we decided to invest in new turnbuckles, fix the cracks in the spreaders, replace the jib halyard wire and most of the running rigging lines. The old rigging screws had some thread damage and were not rotating/tightening after some point and I spotted a suspicius area on one of them that looks like there might be a crack developing in the steel. We decided it's time to get them replaced. We ordered two 1/2" (for the 7mm shrouds) and two 5/8" (for the 8mm shrouds) rigging screws with toggles from Seldén. For the 5/8" one we had to order the conversion kit (306-558-03) too as in 1998 the clevis pin diameter was changed from 13mm to 15.8mm. The chainplates we have are still 13mm for both. The spreaders on our Isomat mast also developed a few centimeter crack which was probably caused by incor