Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from June, 2019

Power demand calculation

As part of the electrical refit I did a brief calculation of the daily power demand on the boat. I used the template from sailboat-cruising.com , which I liked because it distinguishes between anchor and under way, day and night usage and is easy to follow. With the estimation I tried to stay at the realistic side, assuming all-day fridge usage, autopilot, lots of instrument and chartplotter usage all day under way and more entertainment when at anchor. Our battery bank is sized to 300Ah accordingly, 2.5x of the highest calculated daily draw, so we don't deplete the batteries below 50%. Now we need to match the demand with the generated power.

New batteries and battery shelf

Ann-Riis got three new 100Ah deep-cycle Marin AGM batteries. We choose RitarPower's RA12-100 as they claim it's suitable for deep cycle use, recommended also in UPS/EPS, medical equipment, emergency light and security system applications, and have a 10 years design life in float service. We also considered Mastervolt's MX-series, which is a bit cheaper, but according to Mastervolt, it has a much shorter (3-5 years) design life. Not sure if the Ritar will last that long, but if we can get 1-2 years extra out of them, it's worth the price difference. After a long and careful consideration we decided to place the house bank in the aft cabin, right next to the engine room bulkhead. The starter battery will reside on the other side of the bulkhead, in the the engine room, behind the steering rod, were it was placed by the factory originally. The storage area in the aft cabin is just large enough to accommodate the three 100Ah batteries. The steering rod is going

Galley plumbing done

Finally we're able to finish the plumbing in the galley. It was a challenge to find all the pieces required to fit our double sink (one sink bowl is smaller than the other). We ended up buying a complete double sink set (symmetrical), discard the unnecessary piecies and ordering a smaller strainer waste for the smaller sink bowl from the same manufacturer (McAlpine) from eBay. The screws that fixes the wastes to the sinks also had to be replaced, as the included screws were too short. We ordered one shorter screw from a plumbing webshop for one of the bowls and improvised an assembly of an M6 screw with a washer and a nut for the other bowl. Now we have everything connected with a 38mm drain and 20mm bilge pump hose, all above the water line, but still secured with two hose clamps.

Installing a new main halyard

We're lacking a main halyard and there were no pilot lines for pulling in one, so we decided to do it while the mast is standing. Fortunately many boat clubs and marinas have a mast crane in Sweden, you don't need to climb the mast. We sewed a small chain to the end of the new halyard line (10mm Dyneema from Robline, 35 meters), so it's possible to catch it with a wire hook or a magnet at the exit hole on the deck. A few links are enough, we ended up leaving just 3, as having more makes it too heavy and it's difficult to feed it in. One of us climbed the mast crane and started feeding the line until it reached the bottom (we have a keel stepped mast). Then started to slowly pull it back while the other one tried to find the chain and grab it at the exit hole. It took us maybe 10 minutes to succeed. Now we can finally hoist the main! :)

New VHF antenna and masthead clutter cleanup

While the mast was off we replaced the VHF cable and installed a new VHF antenna as well. The old antenna was located on a long and ugly side console which also gave place to a TV antenna, which was now removed. We preferred to reduce the weight and clutter on the masttop and remove the things we know we don't need. The TV coax cable however was left in the mast in case we change our mind later or it can be used as a pilot cable if some new cable needs to be pulled in in the future. Fortunately our Isomat mast has cable conduits, so pulling in-out new cables is quite easy. There is also one extra unused double line wire already installed, in case there is need for it. While pulling out the old VHF cable we pulled in the new one and we did the same with the old wind transducer cable and the new gWind cable. We replaced the masttop navigation and anchor light connection with a 4 pin water proof connector from eBay and installed the new Garmin gWind transducer holding bracket.