Skip to main content

How to remove old seacocks and thru-hulls

There are two main methods I found and both of them are approaching the problem from the outside of the hull. Usually it's impossible to take the seacock assemblies apart from the inside due to the bad access and the huge force and large tools needed for breaking the thread-locks and all the old rusty nuts.


From outside what you can do is to separate the thru-hull's flange from the threaded part, then you can just pull the whole thing in. One way is to hammer in a wooden plug, then drill into the hole with a slightly (1-2mm) larger hole-saw than the thru-hull hole (which is the inner part of the thru-hull's threaded pipe). I tried this approach first, but my wooden plug kept rotating and falling out, so I opted for the second approach instead. Take an angle grinder with a metal disk and grind away the flange of the thru-hull. You need to be careful and do it with small motions not to damage the hull, but it's doable. This was the first time for me and I managed to get away with a few lighter scratches. Always wear a mask and a good eye protection, small metal pieces will fly all over. And if your hand starts to get tired, take a break! Otherwise the chances for making a mistake will increase.


Grinding away one thru-hull can take a few minutes, depending on it's size. Once all the flanges were gone and the hoses were disconnected from the seacocks, it was possible to push the old assemblies in. If they are still stuck, you can hammer them in from outside with a larger wooden plug or something similar. But most of them were quite easy to pull out.


I couldn't get one of the hoses off, so I ended up cutting it with a multitool. If you're planning to do a seacock replacement, I suggest checking out the @SailingBritaly youtube channel, where Chris recorded a 1 hour long video documenting the whole process. That's where I got the courage from :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bilge reinforcement - Part 2

Read Part 1
After careful surface preparation the bilge reinforcement project continued with laying the new laminate. I consulted with West System on what fabric to use and they suggested biaxial cloth without chopped strand matting. The biaxial cloth is very strong and CSM would just add weight. We bought 600g biaxial cloth with 45/45 degree strands from Composite24 and West System 105 epoxy with 206 fast hardener at a local marine store.
Cutting fabric
The work was done in sections, we started with the bilge bottom/floor while the keel nuts and washers were removed. It got 4 layers that come up 10cm at the bilge sides. This area gets most of the loads and we wanted to reinforce it by connecting the fabric on the bottom to the one to be layed on the sides.

In theory these types of reinforcements are suggested to be done either with the keel dropped or while the keel is hanging so it's not compressing the joint while the boat is standing on the keel. The idea is to avoid building …

Electrical refit - Part 1

The electrical system on the boat was in a very sad condition and needed a refit. As it's often the case on older boats, the previous owners just added new stuff without really improving the system or thinking it through. Worst of all, they didn't used marine grade materials or did the installation right either. They just applied quick fixes and left it that way. We were planning to rewire the boat completely during this fall, but as it turned out, it couldn't wait. When I started the engine before heading out for a one week sail, the battery warning light came up. According to the manual the light might indicate incorrect voltage from the generator. When I checked it with a multi-meter, it was very high indeed, well over 15V, so it was overcharging the batteries, which carries the risk of gas leakage or explosion. So we decided to investigate it further and delay our departure for vacation. After disconnecting the house bank, the alternator output normalized, so we conc…

Bilge reinforcement - Part 1

Ann-Riis had delamination at the floor beam to hull attachments probably due to earlier groundings and we could also see the swinging/pendulum keel symptom when the boat was transported with the keel hanging. It was time to do something about it. The plan is to reinforce the whole keel-to-hull joint with 3-4 layers of 600g biaxial fiberglass cloth, re-bond the floor beams to the hull with at least 6 layers and add new structural members to stiffen up the construction against side loads.

Delamination:


In the fall of 2019 we started the keel/bilge reinforcement project. It took several weekends to sand everything and it was probably the most difficult boat work (or any type of work really 😃) I ever did. I covered the working area with plastic protective foil, but it didn't do much. The fiberglass dust was so intense that after a while the tape holding the foil was falling off and the dust covered every corner of the boat. I killed one orbital sander and one vacuum cleaner during …