Skip to main content

New plumbing and water heater

We had an old "water heater" that came with the Gastherm heating system, which had no electric heating element inside, so it was more of a warm water storage unit where the water was heated by either the engine or the propane convector. Unfortunately it got frost damage earlier as one of the previous owners probably forgot to drain it before winter. We felt it was time to get a new one. We chose the Isotemp SPA 15 which is a perfect fit to the same place where the old unit was, in the engine room. It also has an electric heating element, so the water can be heated from shore power too.


When we started the plumbing job we realized that this might be a good opportunity to replace all the old water hoses and taps. The old system was built on PEX tubes with metal fittings, that all corroded and the pipes were not even colored, warm water was blue too. The old taps were regular household taps and quite rusty already. So as usual, it became a larger project than we first anticipated.


We considered replacing the hoses with a new PEX tubing with plastic fittings or with Whale's 15mm QuickConnect system, but it would cost a lot more due to the expensive fittings and adapters to the taps and it would be more cumbersome to repair later on in case of any leaks (would it be easy to find the exact same Whale fittings in many years?).


So in the end we decided to build the new system from regular water hoses and got 2x10 meters of new food and marine grade armored hoses. We also got four new marine grade taps (fresh and raw-water in the head and the galley), and a new Johnson freshwater pump because the old one was dead. The pump got a filter on the inlet side too to prevent any debris from the water tank damaging the pump.


The old sink in the head had a crack in it and was leaking. Fortunately we were able to find the exact same type of sink in a webshop (Sunwind) which was a perfect fit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bilge reinforcement - Part 2

Read Part 1
After careful surface preparation the bilge reinforcement project continued with laying the new laminate. I consulted with West System on what fabric to use and they suggested biaxial cloth without chopped strand matting. The biaxial cloth is very strong and CSM would just add weight. We bought 600g biaxial cloth with 45/45 degree strands from Composite24 and West System 105 epoxy with 206 fast hardener at a local marine store.
Cutting fabric
The work was done in sections, we started with the bilge bottom/floor while the keel nuts and washers were removed. It got 4 layers that come up 10cm at the bilge sides. This area gets most of the loads and we wanted to reinforce it by connecting the fabric on the bottom to the one to be layed on the sides.

In theory these types of reinforcements are suggested to be done either with the keel dropped or while the keel is hanging so it's not compressing the joint while the boat is standing on the keel. The idea is to avoid building …

Bilge reinforcement - Part 1

Ann-Riis had delamination at the floor beam to hull attachments probably due to earlier groundings and we could also see the swinging/pendulum keel symptom when the boat was transported with the keel hanging. It was time to do something about it. The plan is to reinforce the whole keel-to-hull joint with 3-4 layers of 600g biaxial fiberglass cloth, re-bond the floor beams to the hull with at least 6 layers and add new structural members to stiffen up the construction against side loads.

Delamination:


In the fall of 2019 we started the keel/bilge reinforcement project. It took several weekends to sand everything and it was probably the most difficult boat work (or any type of work really 😃) I ever did. I covered the working area with plastic protective foil, but it didn't do much. The fiberglass dust was so intense that after a while the tape holding the foil was falling off and the dust covered every corner of the boat. I killed one orbital sander and one vacuum cleaner during …

Electrical refit - Part 1

The electrical system on the boat was in a very sad condition and needed a refit. As it's often the case on older boats, the previous owners just added new stuff without really improving the system or thinking it through. Worst of all, they didn't used marine grade materials or did the installation right either. They just applied quick fixes and left it that way. We were planning to rewire the boat completely during this fall, but as it turned out, it couldn't wait. When I started the engine before heading out for a one week sail, the battery warning light came up. According to the manual the light might indicate incorrect voltage from the generator. When I checked it with a multi-meter, it was very high indeed, well over 15V, so it was overcharging the batteries, which carries the risk of gas leakage or explosion. So we decided to investigate it further and delay our departure for vacation. After disconnecting the house bank, the alternator output normalized, so we conc…