Skip to main content

New VHF antenna and masthead clutter cleanup

While the mast was off we replaced the VHF cable and installed a new VHF antenna as well. The old antenna was located on a long and ugly side console which also gave place to a TV antenna, which was now removed. We preferred to reduce the weight and clutter on the masttop and remove the things we know we don't need. Fortunately our Isomat mast has cable conduits, so pulling in-out new cables is quite easy. There is also one extra unused double line wire already installed, in case there is need for it. While pulling out the old VHF cable we pulled in the new one and we did the same with the old wind transducer cable and the new gWind cable.


We replaced the masttop navigation and anchor light connection with a 4 pin water proof connector and installed the new Garmin gWind transducer holding bracket. 
We installed the new VHF antenna on a bracket on the side of the mast. Ideally the cable would pass through a hole drilled within the holding bracket, but there was already a hole on that side of the mast and we decided to reuse that. We sealed the RF connector with a heat shrink and a self vulcanizing rubber tape. Also added some rubber tape to the cable where it exits the mast to prevent chafing (after taking the picture).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bilge reinforcement - Part 2

Read Part 1 After careful surface preparation the bilge reinforcement project continued with laying the new laminate. I consulted with West System on what fabric to use and they suggested biaxial cloth without chopped strand matting. The biaxial cloth is very strong and CSM would just add weight. We bought 600g biaxial cloth with 45/45 degree strands from Composite24 and West System 105 epoxy with 206 fast hardener at a local marine store. Cutting fabric The work was done in sections, we started with the bilge bottom while the keel nuts and washers were removed. It got 4 layers that come up 10cm at the bilge sides. This area gets most of the load and we wanted to reinforce it by connecting the fabric on the bottom to the fabric layed on the sides. 4 layers on the bottom In theory these types of reinforcements are suggested to be done either with the keel dropped or while the keel is hanging so it's not compressing the joint while the boat is standing on th

New ventillators and smoke detector

Three old ventillators have been replaced last weekend as they were falling apart due to UV damage and the brittle plastic. We could get the exact same type of ventillators, so we went with those. No new holes to drill and hopefully these will do the job for another 10 years. I was also considering changing them to solar vents, but I haven't read too good reviews about them. They're usually much bigger (need a bigger hole) and according to many they tend to die after a year or two (either the battery or the fan motor gets loud) and doesn't worth the extra price tag.  We're going to add some regular 12V car fans inside before we sail to warmer climates. We already have a gas/propane alarm in the galley and now I also installed a battery powered smoke detector. Very easy and no drilling required, it's held in place with velcro strips.

Bilge reinforcement - Part 1

There was delamination at the floor beam-to-hull attachments, probably due to earlier groundings and we could also see the swinging/pendulum keel symptom when the boat was transported with the keel hanging. It was time to do something about it. The plan is to reinforce the whole keel-to-hull joint with 3-4 layers of 600g biaxial fiberglass cloth, re-bond the floor beams to the hull with at least 6 layers and add new structural members to stiffen up the construction against side loads. This is how the delamination looked like: In the fall of 2019 we started the keel/bilge reinforcement project. It took several weekends to sand everything and it was probably the most difficult boat work (or any type of work really 😃) I ever did.  I killed one orbital sander and one vacuum cleaner during the job. Then I bought a cheap vac with HEPA filter from Biltema, which turned to be a really good choice. The high density filter is really a must to catch the very fine fiberglass dust.