Skip to main content

Saildrive diaphragm and valve change

While the saildrive was out we took the opportunity to replace the original shitty plastic seawater intake valve on it. Removing the old valve was easier than expected, it just took a large enough adjustable wrench to break it loose and unscrew. We installed a new DZR/CR brass ball valve with Loctite 577 in it's place.


Saildrive reassembly went according to the manual. The only change we made is that we added a thin layer of Loctite MR5922 (which is basically the same as Permatex) to the old aluminum surfaces to get a better internal seal, carefully making sure it doesn't get on the rubber diaphragm which has to be a dry-seal. We tightened the screws with a torque wrench to the specified values and replaced the wire lock. Then reinstalled the prop-shaft seal and the anode, which we tested with a multi-meter to see if it has a proper connection.


The saildrive bed was cleaned and painted with Interprotect. The top part where the seal connects was cleaned with acetone, then washed of with clean water several times and let to dry. Reinstalling the drive to the well was not easy even though we have very good access to the area. The drive is heavy and it requires lots of force to keep it in place and wiggle it to the right position while a second person adds a support from below. We supported it with a piece of wood. After that it was possible to add the aft drive mount, so it only needed support from the front, which we solved by using an adjustable strap around the keel, pulling the drive forward and making it aligned with the engine. Then we lifted the engine up a few millimeters with an other adjustable strap hanging from a piece of wood from the companionway hatch, so we could move it more easily.


Reconnecting the engine and saildrive went quite easily after this, we had to wiggle a bit with the front engine mounts to make it centered so all the screw holes get aligned. The saildrive rubber cover was glued with Sikaflex 591i to the hull after careful surface preparation.


We launched the boat and the seal and the seacock is perfectly dry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bilge reinforcement - Part 2

Read Part 1 After careful surface preparation the bilge reinforcement project continued with laying the new laminate. I consulted with West System on what fabric to use and they suggested biaxial cloth without chopped strand matting. The biaxial cloth is very strong and CSM would just add weight. We bought 600g biaxial cloth with 45/45 degree strands from Composite24 and West System 105 epoxy with 206 fast hardener at a local marine store. Cutting fabric The work was done in sections, we started with the bilge bottom while the keel nuts and washers were removed. It got 4 layers that come up 10cm at the bilge sides. This area gets most of the load and we wanted to reinforce it by connecting the fabric on the bottom to the fabric layed on the sides. 4 layers on the bottom In theory these types of reinforcements are suggested to be done either with the keel dropped or while the keel is hanging so it's not compressing the joint while the boat is standing on th

New ventillators and smoke detector

Three old ventillators have been replaced last weekend as they were falling apart due to UV damage and the brittle plastic. We could get the exact same type of ventillators, so we went with those. No new holes to drill and hopefully these will do the job for another 10 years. I was also considering changing them to solar vents, but I haven't read too good reviews about them. They're usually much bigger (need a bigger hole) and according to many they tend to die after a year or two (either the battery or the fan motor gets loud) and doesn't worth the extra price tag.  We're going to add some regular 12V car fans inside before we sail to warmer climates. We already have a gas/propane alarm in the galley and now I also installed a battery powered smoke detector. Very easy and no drilling required, it's held in place with velcro strips.

Bilge reinforcement - Part 1

There was delamination at the floor beam-to-hull attachments, probably due to earlier groundings and we could also see the swinging/pendulum keel symptom when the boat was transported with the keel hanging. It was time to do something about it. The plan is to reinforce the whole keel-to-hull joint with 3-4 layers of 600g biaxial fiberglass cloth, re-bond the floor beams to the hull with at least 6 layers and add new structural members to stiffen up the construction against side loads. This is how the delamination looked like: In the fall of 2019 we started the keel/bilge reinforcement project. It took several weekends to sand everything and it was probably the most difficult boat work (or any type of work really 😃) I ever did.  I killed one orbital sander and one vacuum cleaner during the job. Then I bought a cheap vac with HEPA filter from Biltema, which turned to be a really good choice. The high density filter is really a must to catch the very fine fiberglass dust.