Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from April, 2021

New propane hose, alarm and leakage test

There is a 3-way shutoff valve in our propane system which supplies both the stove and the the propane heater. The heater is connected via a copper tube, so the only flexible hose goes towards the gimbals stove and it was due to replace it. I installed a new 10mm hose terminal to the 3-way valve as the old was 8mm and not the proper size for the hose which is 10mm towards this stove. The valve was labeled and every connection was leakage tested after the assembly. We have an internal battery powered gas alarm under the stove and now we got a second alarm installed in the head, where the Gastherm propane heater is located. This alarm runs from the boat’s batteries and is connected to the always-on busbars.

Epoxy barrier coat and new hard bottom paint

Previous: Removing the old bottom paint All of the old self-polishing bottom paint has been removed. We scraped it off with a ProScraper, then sanded it with a 120gr orbital sander to get rid of any residues. The hull has been epoxy treated before and the old barrier coat was still intact in most places. We decided to apply a new barrier coat on top of it anyways, as this is the perfect opportunity and we don't want to redo this job in the near future. We choose Lefant's Epoxy primer which is a quite thick epoxy barrier coat that can be painted down till +5 celsius degrees and makes a watertight seal after even 4 layers. As we already had a barrier coat we decided to go with 4 layers and iterate between white and black colors to make it easy to get a good coverage. We used 12 liters of primer in total (one 3 liter can was just enough for one layer). First layer of primer Third layer of primer and filler The keel was also sanded back to the previous epoxy primer and was treated