Skip to main content

Cockpit varnish refresh and cup holders - Part 1

We decided to give the wood in the cockpit some love. The companionway hatch, mahagony trim pieces and handles were taken home, carefully sanded and treated with 5 coats of fresh Epifanes varnish.


We also renovated the cup holder and storage box that one of the previous owners built as we really liked it's function and place as a step in front of the companionway. The box was sanded, the some of the old holes/cracks filled with a wood filler and painted with a white topcoat. The cover part we replaced with a new mahagony plywood which was treated with Epifanes varnish and new piano hinges. The box has an aluminium profile in the back and fits perfectly under the companionway ledge which holds it in place. It has two storage compartments, drained on the bottom and four cup holders (two smaller and two larges ones).



In the had we manufactured a new bulkhead cover piece from mahagony plywood as the previous one had an ugly cut in it due to the old Silva instrument cables. Now that those instruments are gone, it deserved a new cover. The plywood was painted with Cuprinol √Ądellasyr in mahagony color to get a darker color that matches the existing interior better (the same I used for the plywood in the electrical panel) and several layers of Epifanes varnish.

This project will be continues with the outer trim pieces of the companionway hatch and the foldable cockpit table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bilge reinforcement - Part 2

Read Part 1 After careful surface preparation the bilge reinforcement project continued with laying the new laminate. I consulted with West System on what fabric to use and they suggested biaxial cloth without chopped strand matting. The biaxial cloth is very strong and CSM would just add weight. We bought 600g biaxial cloth with 45/45 degree strands from Composite24 and West System 105 epoxy with 206 fast hardener at a local marine store. Cutting fabric The work was done in sections, we started with the bilge bottom while the keel nuts and washers were removed. It got 4 layers that come up 10cm at the bilge sides. This area gets most of the load and we wanted to reinforce it by connecting the fabric on the bottom to the fabric layed on the sides. 4 layers on the bottom In theory these types of reinforcements are suggested to be done either with the keel dropped or while the keel is hanging so it's not compressing the joint while the boat is standing on th

New ventillators and smoke detector

Three old ventillators have been replaced last weekend as they were falling apart due to UV damage and the brittle plastic. We could get the exact same type of ventillators, so we went with those. No new holes to drill and hopefully these will do the job for another 10 years. I was also considering changing them to solar vents, but I haven't read too good reviews about them. They're usually much bigger (need a bigger hole) and according to many they tend to die after a year or two (either the battery or the fan motor gets loud) and doesn't worth the extra price tag.  We're going to add some regular 12V car fans inside before we sail to warmer climates. We already have a gas/propane alarm in the galley and now I also installed a battery powered smoke detector. Very easy and no drilling required, it's held in place with velcro strips.

Bilge reinforcement - Part 1

There was delamination at the floor beam-to-hull attachments, probably due to earlier groundings and we could also see the swinging/pendulum keel symptom when the boat was transported with the keel hanging. It was time to do something about it. The plan is to reinforce the whole keel-to-hull joint with 3-4 layers of 600g biaxial fiberglass cloth, re-bond the floor beams to the hull with at least 6 layers and add new structural members to stiffen up the construction against side loads. This is how the delamination looked like: In the fall of 2019 we started the keel/bilge reinforcement project. It took several weekends to sand everything and it was probably the most difficult boat work (or any type of work really ūüėÉ) I ever did.  I killed one orbital sander and one vacuum cleaner during the job. Then I bought a cheap vac with HEPA filter from Biltema, which turned to be a really good choice. The high density filter is really a must to catch the very fine fiberglass dust.