Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from June, 2021

S/Y Scarlett

Should we give her a new name? We were discussing this and looking for a better name for almost a year. When the transom and red-stripe renovation was close to be finished we were pressed to make a decision on what sticker to order. We're after a feminine name that's easy to pronounce, has a good sounding and some more meaning for us. There were several contestants, so the family had to vote. Our choice was inspired by the character of Katie Scarlett O'Hara from the book/movie Gone with the Wind . We can relate to the character and name because Katie is my wife's first name, however we thought that  Scarlett is the perfect fit. Scarlett rhymes with the first three letters of Scanmar, is associated with red that symbolizes courage, passion, force, joy and heat and which is often considered the color of Scanmar boats. We're not superstitious but we took the name change somewhat seriously and followed the customs on the ceremony of the name change because we like the t

Transom and red-stripe decor paint

After we finished the fiberglass repair work on the transom , it was time to paint. We decided to use a 2-component polyurethane lack from Epifanes. The color is 839 which is quite a close match to the old gelcoat if it's not overlapping the old paint on the same surface. The boat was launched with the bathing platform dismounted but the transom paint finished. We started painting the red-white topside decor stripe from the dock, it was more comfortable and the weather was warmer. First we started the red stripe with a new 2-component polyurethane lack too just in red, but it turned out too bright (even though we bought the darkest red color what we could find), so we decided to switch to International's Toplac instead which was available in dark red (Marinröd). We painted 3 layers, then 3 layers of offwhite toplac for the white stripe. And the end result:

Rigging updates Part 1

We're replacing the standing rigging step-by-step. Last year we replaced the forestay (together with the roller furling) and the backstay wire and load bearing block. This year we decided to invest in new turnbuckles, fix the cracks in the spreaders, replace the jib halyard wire and most of the running rigging lines. The old rigging screws had some thread damage and were not rotating/tightening after some point and I spotted a suspicius area on one of them that looks like there might be a crack developing in the steel. We decided it's time to get them replaced. We ordered two 1/2" (for the 7mm shrouds) and two 5/8" (for the 8mm shrouds) rigging screws with toggles from Seldén. For the 5/8" one we had to order the conversion kit (306-558-03) too as in 1998 the clevis pin diameter was changed from 13mm to 15.8mm. The chainplates we have are still 13mm for both. The spreaders on our Isomat mast also developed a few centimeter crack which was probably caused by incor